I’m always looking for new ways to save money and stretch our family budget, only try as I might, I’m never organized enough to bring all the coupons I’ve clipped to the grocery store. Some of you are probably in the same boat, you’re busy, beyond stressed and scrambling to come up with new meals to keep your little ones fed and healthy. I’ve read articles about how you can save money if you plan your meals around the meats that go on sale at your local grocery store for the week. Only every time, I look at the various circulars, I lose track of what is at which stores, much less match that with what I know how to make (limited).
I found an answer to my coupon clipping and weekly meal planning dilemma. I was participating in a tech conference yesterday and a new startup has an app called Food on the Table is making easy to do these things from iPhone and Android phones. I just got an Android phone from Virgin Mobile and I’m still learning how to use it. When I turn my phone on it says “Android” before going to the main screen.
- Install the app.
- iPhone users: Go to iTunes, search for Food on the Table and tap Install.
- Android users: Go to Market and tap on the magnifying glass to search for Food on the Table, tap Install.
- Once the app is installed, tap on the icon to launch Food on the Table.
- Login to the app with your Facebook account or create an account.
- Once you create an account or login with Facebook, you can access the app from the web and any changes you make will sync with the app on your cell phone.
- Give the app permission to use your location to find the grocery stores around you.
- Select local grocery stores.
- My app has Safeway as the primary grocery store.
- Tap on Grocery List and see what is on sale at your primary grocery store.
- I selected Chicken Tenders, since meals made with chicken tenders usually have a higher chance of being eaten by the kids without a fight.
- Tap on Meal Plan and select the recipes you want to make. The free version is limited to 3 meals.
- Here I selected Chicken & Steak Fajitas.
- The app then added the steak to my grocery list along with all the other items I need to buy to make sure everything for the recipe is included in the grocery list.
For the planners, you can add the recipes to your phone, then look through the pantry to check off the ingredients that you have. If you’re like me, you’re probably sitting in the car waiting to pick up the kids from school and adding recipes to your plan before heading to the grocery store. What I like about the app is I can check which meats are on sale at my local stores so I can plan recipes around what is on sale. Bonus that recipes and the grocery list are contained within the app because I can come up with new meals without any added stress.